Opera 9 goes mobile: Tradition of market leading innovation continues with upcoming Opera Mobile edition
Oslo, Norway and Barcelona, Spain - February 12, 2007
Opera Software today announced plans to upgrade mobile Web browsing by developing Opera 9 for mobile phones in all major platforms. Opera 9 has enriched Web use on the PC with new technologies, and now the leading browser innovator will deliver the same groundbreaking functionality to mobile phones. The upcoming Opera Mobile edition includes the latest in PC browsing features such as Widgets and Intelligent Zoom.
Opera 9 on mobile phones will add completely new dimensions to navigation. Users can seamlessly alternate between viewing modes to get a birds-eye perspective or dive into the content they want. Users have the choice to see an overview of a Web page or adapting the page to the width of the screen. As first seen with the Opera browser for Wii, Intelligent Zoom allows users to then zoom in directly to a selected area.
Widgets will also debut on mobile phones with the upcoming release of Opera Mobile. These small Web applications running outside of the browser allow users, manufacturers and operators to create and personalize services derived from Web content such as weather and traffic information, news and e-mail. Widgets offer Web applications that are instantly accessible on the phone without having to launch the Web browser, presenting dynamic and engaging content directly to users.
"We are impressed with the constantly evolving experience of browsing the Web," says Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Bringing Opera 9 to mobile phones will present new capabilities in mobile Web services that will be exciting to see defined."
Opera Mobile is currently shipped on more than 50 million phones from major manufacturers such as Motorola, Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. For more information, visit www.opera.com/products/mobile.
Opera Mobile Features to include
- Intelligent Zoom: Zoom in directly to a selected area and continue scrolling for a closer view.
- Grab and scroll: Touch and direct the page up or down on touch-screen devices.
- Multiple Windows/Tabbed browsing: Use multiple windows for multi-task browsing.
- Opera Widgets: Small Web applications that users can easily access without having to open the Web browser.
- Web-address input auto-completion: Reduce input time with an index of address completions.
- Password manager: The password manager remembers your usernames and passwords so you don't have to.
- Download manager: View download progress and access all your downloads from one simple transfer manager window.
- Pop-up blocker: Control whether to block all pop-ups, or open only the ones that you have requested.
- Bookmarks and History: Keep quick access to your favorites and get back to your last viewed sites.
- Send link as e-mail, SMS, MMS: Send links to e-mail or as messages directly from the browser.
About Opera Software ASA
Opera Software ASA has redefined Web browsing for PCs, mobile phones and other networked devices. Opera's cross- platform Web browser technology is renowned for its small size, performance and standards-compliance, while giving users a faster, safer and more dynamic online experience. Opera Software is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with offices around the world. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.